Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Using Music on the Web

Hi Bloggers,

The following is a quote I found on The Improviser website which was written by Emma Sheehy.
"Children learn to talk by experimenting and listening; they can learn to make music by experimenting and listening--unless we stop them! Place children in surroundings that are full of "invitations to learn," provide them with encouraging and sympathetic attitudes from adults, as well as knowledge, and amazing things can happen--especially to the sensory perceptions that are central to the arts...do we have the courage to embark with them on what are frequently unknown seas?" (Unknown year).

I completely agree with this quote it's true in all environments there is music that can be made and we can learn this through experimentation. This is especially true for children they start off as babies making different noises with their mouths and then continues on over the following years while growing up to making noises with objects in rooms. If the noise is not made how will you ever know what it sounds like? I believe you wouldn't and that could be something that you might always wonder about.

Therefore I downloaded a track from Incompetech (2009). which was called Enter the PArty which was classed as a funk song. When I first listened to it, I was reminded of techno beats. However, after sitting and listening for a little while I sounded out the bests, one sounded like clicking another tapping and there were many other noises that sounded alike. I thought it was quite interesting in how this piece of music was composed. I personally really enjoyed this piece of music I downloaded and it was the very first one I chose.

I believe this could be used in similiar circumstances whether it be in classroom or a music lesson you could get teh children to recreate this piece. First they would have to listen and see what they could pull out of the music for instnace slipping etc. and then recreate this music piece with musical instruments and any other resources which could be utilised. It would be quite challenging but a very creative activity at the same time. The students would really have to think. Once they had decided they could record their piece of music then put onto the computers for editing and then present it back to the class. They could also burn it on to a cd to take home as a keepsake copy and also to show to parents. Another way this activity could be done is through a software package on a computer possibly Garageband where sounds are already set up they would jsut have to choose which instruments and how long they would like them to play etc. This might encourage how long beats are held for and go into other musical aspects. As well as this task being challenging I could also imagine it as being a lot of fun while working in groups together.

I believe music is an essential part in most peoples lives, and I personally listen to music on a daily basis. I love it for so many different reasons but mostly because it's soothing and helps to relax and sleep. Before today I had never heard of Incompetech and usually don't download music due to copyright and downloading laws which prohibit this however, I plan to use Incompetech in the future not only because it is covered under the Creative Commons agreement but because I would also like to see what otehr music is offered on this site and may be able to use in my teaching somewhere in the near future.

I'd like to know your thoughts and opinions on my music and activity.

Thanks and Cheers,
Courtney.

References

Central Queensland University. (2009). Using Music on the Web. Retrieved on 12th August, 2009, from: http://moodle.cqu.edu.au/mod/resource/view.php?id=671

Incompetech. (2009). Incompetech. Retrieved on August 9, 2009, from http://incompetech.com/

The Improviser - The international journal on free improvisation. (Year Unknown). Music Quotes. Retrieved on 12th August, 2009, from: http://www.the-improvisor.com/muquotes.html




No comments:

Post a Comment