Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Setting up an RSS Aggregator

Hi Bloggers,

The sole purpose of this blog is to explain how I set up an RSS Aggregator. Since completing reading, I have found out that RSS actually stands for Really Simple Syndication (Central Queensland University, 2009.) which acts as a so called 'home base' where you can keep track of several websites at any one time via updates (LeFever, 2007).

I have personally chosen to use Google Reader as my home base. There were multiple reasons for this decision. Firstly, Scot Aldred, lecturer of our course Managing E-learning, made reference that this website was easier to use as it had the folders down the side, therefore more manageable and organised, (Aldred, 2009) which I must say I totally agree. Secondly, I found the google reader link on my blogger page, therefore I clicked on the link and my account was already set up, due to a connection between blogger and google reader. Lastly, it's very simple to use, all you have to do is click on add subscription and copying the URL into it (Central Queensland University, 2009). All your favourite sites are on the left and the new posts and news are located on the right. (LeFever, 2007).

I believe this could be a very useful tool in classrooms, beginning from middle primary all the way through to high school and university. When working on projects as such, students constantly come back to utilise the same website for information, therefore it would be easily accessible to them. There may be updates of newly added information to those particular websites, which would inform the students on a regular basis.

Personally, I think this is a great tool to use and upon learning about this new technology I hope to utilise this in the future as it makes it easier to maneuver around the World Wide Web.

Cheers for now,
Courtney.

References

Aldred, Scot. (2009). Managing E-learning class. Retrieved on Thursday 16th July, 2009.

Central Queensland university. (2009). An Introduction to teachers' Delivery Technologies. Retrieved on Wednesday 22nd July, 2009, from: http://moodle.cqu.edu.au/mod/resource/view.php?id=671

LeFever, L. (2007). Video: RSS in Plain English. Retrieved on Wednesday 22nd July, 2009, from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0klgLsSxGsU

No comments:

Post a Comment